Join Tony Huegel, author of seven adventure-motoring guides to the wildlands of the American West, on a daylong 180-mile dirt-road ride through the spectacular mountains of eastern Idaho and western Wyoming. Tony lives in Idaho Falls, and is being sponsored by Klim for this event. He is an ADV-motoring consultant and developer of the 2,800-mile, six-state Heart of the West Adventure Route, part of which is included in the ride. He rode with the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route Advance Scouting Team in 2012 on the maiden run of the COBDR, a 700-mile backcountry trip he described in RoadRUNNER magazine and in the video about the COBDR, a project sponsored in part by Klim. Tony and his Kawasaki KLR 650 are spotlighted on the cover of this summer’s issue of ADVMoto magazine. You can follow his travels on his blogsite, Backcountry Byways Journal.
There will be a drawing for participants of a complimentary license to Tony’s “Heart of the West Adventure Route” track file , a $199 value.
- 8:00 Am Tuesday Meet up and briefing across from the hotel in front of the falls. Gassed, watered, ready to ride.
- Kick Stands up at 8:30 Am.
- If we have more than the limit for the event others can meet at the turnaround at Palisades Reservoir where some will depart and return to the hotel.
- The first leg is 80 miles.
- The second leg is 102 miles.
- We estimate 3.5 hours for each leg, allowing for some stops.
- + 0.5 hour at the midway point for fuel, snack, etc.
- = 7.0 hours for the full loop. Flat tires are not permitted! 🙂